Is He Worthy?

“[God] You are glorious and more majestic than the everlasting mountains.” (Psalm 76:4, NLT)

That verse stopped me in my tracks this morning. There is nothing quite like sitting beside a peaceful lake with the mountains in the background, to bring shalom to my soul. Our family has a favourite spot where we go camping whenever we get a chance. There is no cell reception back there and it is about the most peaceful place we have ever gone. I never get tired of sitting beside the pristine lake, gazing up at those majestic mountains.

Mountains depict strength and majesty. They have been around since the beginning of creation. Generations come and go, while they stand unmoved by the busyness of mankind. They can stand against the worst storms assailing them. If they could talk, oh, the stories they could tell. Mountains represent endurance and timelessness, so much greater than anything the most brilliant of humans could build.

Yet, as amazing as they are, even mountains crumble and fall. Earthquakes and volcanoes have changed the face of many a mountain. Natural disasters happen in the blink of an eye. However, the Bible tells us that our glorious God never changes.  

Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today, and forever.” (Hebrews 13:8, NLT)

I ‘ooo’ and ‘ahhh’ over the mountains, especially when they are covered with freshly fallen snow. Or the rising sun dresses them in a blaze of fiery pink glory. It’s breath taking. Do I ‘ooo’ and ‘ahhh’ over God like that? He is infinitely more glorious and majestic than the mountains he created. To my embarrassment, I often forget that it’s all about God. He is the One holding it all together by his powerful hand.

“[Christ is the one through whom] God created everything in the heavenly realms and on earth. He made the things we can see and the things we can’t see— such as thrones, kingdoms, rulers, and authorities in the unseen world. Everything was created through him and for him.” (Colossians 1:16, NLT)       [emphasis mine]

If things created can take my breath away, how much more so the One by whom, through whom, and for whom all things were created?!

And then I read verse 10:

Human opposition only enhances your glory, for you use it as a sword of judgement”                        (Psalm 76:10, NLT 1st Edition)

Why is it that we rant and rail against people, nations, leaders, governments, etc., who oppose God, as though he needs us to defend him?! What must the watching world think of our glorious God when we behave in that manner? If God is not strong enough to shoulder antagonism, why would anyone want a relationship with such a God? I wouldn’t. He will deal with his opposition in his time and his way. My job is to love and revere him; to testify to his goodness in my life, to shine a light on his glory and majesty. Anyone who can create such opulent beauty in the world around me and put together the intricacies of the human body and then sends his son to make it possible for me (and all of mankind) to have a relationship with him…that One is worthy of my ‘ooo’s and ‘ahhh’s.

O God, you are more glorious than majestic mountains!!

This post is shorter than most because I have included a link to a song by Chris Tomlin that I hope you will take time to listen to. Perhaps it will cause you to sit back in awe and wonder of The Most Glorious One.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-c6pl6CaiD0

Is He worthy of all blessing and honour and glory? HE IS!!! 







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Holes in my Umbrella

For Such a Time as This